Topics and replies.

Fitting heater control cables 1977 MGB

Postby Mike Macartney » 19 May 2017 07:20

Hi,
Does anybody out there have any experience of refitting the control cables for the heater flap and the coolant heater valve to the control switches on my 1977 MGB V8 project? I have not attempted the job as yet. I hoped there may be a simple method. Perhaps I should have connected these cables before I fitted the main dashboard and the new transmission tunnel carpet? I can disconnect the cable to the coolant heater valve at the engine compartment end which may give me more room to move the centre lower dash panel out a bit on one side. Any ideas would be appreciated.

The reports on my rebuild can be seen on the V8 website.
http://www.v8register.net/profileV8RebuildMacartney.htm

Regards
Mike Macartney
Mike Macartney

Re: Fitting heater control cables 1977 MGB

Postby Mike Howlett » 19 May 2017 20:01

You mean "How can I fit the cable to the heater flap" - is that right. The best answer is to do it before you install the heater. It is possible to thread the cable through as the heater is installed. It gets a bit kinked but it is the best way.

If the heater is in place (and that's no easy task either) I have done it by removing the front seat and lying on my back under the dash. If you shove the clutch pedal down with the top of your head, you can see the cable attachment through the vent. Connecting it and tightening the fixing involves manual dexterity and whatever small tools you can fit in the space. I hope I never have to do it again.

Its slightly easier on a LHD car as the pedals and steering column aren't in the way!
Mike Howlett

Postby Mike Macartney » 20 May 2017 07:14

Mike,

The heater flap end has already been fitted and fed in with the heater. It is the other ends of the heater flap cable and the other cable that controls the hot and cold. The problem I can foresee is trying to connect these cables at the cockpit end where they connect onto the two heater control knobs. With the upper dash in place there is not a lot of room.

I have got to remove the new tansmission tunnel carpet today to fit the rest of the carpet so I will have another look.

Thanks for your information. I am amazed that it was actually possible to fit the heater flap cable at the flap end from inside the car. It makes my job of fitting the cables at the other end look easy.

Best regards

Mike
Mike Macartney

Postby Mike Howlett » 20 May 2017 10:37

Oh right. If it's the control knob end I can't help you. As yours is a later car these controls are down low on the console aren't they. Mine is a 1969 where the controls are up on the main dash and can be reached through the glove box opening.
Mike Howlett

Postby Geoff King » 20 May 2017 16:52

The guys in the factory must have been able to connect the cables in a few seconds as the car trundled down the line but it took me what seemed like hours. It’s a few years ago now but I seem to remember attaching both cables to the knobs before offering up the console then connecting the cable to the flap through a hole in the dashboard brace. The temperature control is easy – depending on which water valve is used and where it is - on my inlet manifold there was a flat area by the thermostat (used for a valve on the old flapper type Efi but not on the hotwire) where I drilled through into the water jacket and mounted an MGB water valve.
Geoff King

Postby Mike Macartney » 26 May 2017 06:54

I have been thinking about what Geoff suggested - that the guys on the line only had a short time to fit these controls for the heater. Looking again today I have found the solution. It's actually quite simple. I will include photographs and a full explanation in my next rebuild report. It will probably be included in report number 139 which will be on the V8 Register web site in a couple of days. Below is a link to the reports.

http://www.v8register.net/profileV8RebuildMacartney.htm

Many thanks Geoff for getting me to think over the problem.

Mike
Mike Macartney

Return to V8BB Messages