Topics and replies.

Cleaning RV8 vinyl interior trim

Postby Martin Cridford » 27 Jul 2017 16:10

I've been struggling to find a good way to clean up my RV8's vinyl trim parts which are heavily contaminated I suspect with nicotine and smoke given the amount of ash found in the car.

Most shop bought car cleaning products didn't do much and I've tried almost everything else I could find both in the garage and in the house but all cleaning/polishing/rubbing type creams or solutions that I have don't work. Even Cif (was Jif many years ago!) which usually works on almost anything wouldn't touch it. But strangely Brasso was one of the better mildly abrasive cleaners.

I seemed to need a solvent based solution that would act quickly and easily. In desperation I tried my wife's nail polish remover! It worked! I tried both acetone based and non-acetone based and both work equally well. I needed to frequently renew my cleaning pads torn from an old terry towel as it quickly soiled and was sparing with the remover as it does soften the vinyl a little whilst working but fortunately it dries out when left to evaporate.

The vinyl trim is still faded from the original but at least it's clean now. Now all I need is a vinyl dye or paint to get it nearer the leather colour on the seats.
Martin Cridford

Re: Cleaning RV8 vinyl interior trim

Postby Keith Belcher » 27 Jul 2017 16:51

Martin,
If your containment is indeed nicotine, the best way forward is good old sugar soap. Available as a powder or ready mixed in spray form. All the big DIY stores keep it. I always keep some in and use it cleaning anything old. It works wonders. The nicotine just drops away. Remember to soak the drips and keep it from soaking into carpets [best remove them]. I use it on old HiFi items. It is strange how the nicotine coating keeps surfaces protected from weathering.
Keith [1949]
Keith Belcher

Re: Cleaning RV8 vinyl interior trim

Postby Chris Beauclerk » 12 Aug 2017 17:58

Magic Sponges are brilliant for the vinyl surfaces - use with a good domestic hard surface cleaner such as flash. (not anything with bleach or acid). Wipe after with a damp microfibre cloth.

Magic Sponges are also fairly useful on other parts of the car including the wheels as they can be cut into small pieces and even wedge shapes to fit into tight spaces.

Do not use the magic sponge on any of the leather surfaces as it will remove the coating.

Only use a dedicated leather cleaner on the Leather surfaces (panel around the door pull, centre armrest and seats)

Hope this helps
Chris Beauclerk

Return to V8BB Messages