Topics and replies.

Re: Fuel & Additives

Postby Steve Armitage » 05 Dec 2017 14:21

Apologies for the delayed reply and thanks again everyone for the steers. I think on balance I'll stick with the bog standard fuel! I did come across some Protec valve and injector cleaner recently, and splashed out on a can (not high street stuff and not cheap). It's only just gone in so nothing to report yet, but if I notice a change I'll say so.
Steve Armitage

Postby Dave Morris » 06 Dec 2017 23:34

Steve,
I got to wondering why you had asked this question...
Is it because you have some specific issue?
Or maybe you don't think your RV8 performs as well as a 3.9 litre sports car should?
I was very much in the latter camp and I was initially disappointed that anything over 4000 rpm seemed just more noise rather than more go!
If so you might want to consider:
1. checking the vacuum connection to the distributor and for air leaks anywhere on the manifold/throttle body
2. clearing any errors from the ECU (you will need Rovergauge or similar to do this) errors tend to make the ECU adopt compromise settings
3. Checking the ignition timing, it needs to be set at 8-10 degrees BTDC for best results
There are a few other things you can do to improve the running of your RV8, and not everyone would agree with my list, if you look through the various technical notes and threads on here you will find plenty to keep you busy!
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Peter Ferguson » 11 Dec 2017 16:27

Dave
In a previous post you included a picture showing your new silicone pipes from the moved air filter back. Would you mind telling me the internal diameter(s) so that I can do the same. Please excuse my idleness! Note the source, I have used the same pipe clips on both my RV8 and C , what an improvement over a standard jubilee.
Peter Ferguson

Postby Dave Morris » 11 Dec 2017 22:52

Hello Peter
Not quite straightforward as the bend from the AFM to the plenum is a reducing bend and I had to recut the ends to match the angles. The front pipe is just a straight pipe. As to size I will have to have look in my notes or failing that measure the car...and the car is in winter storage so it might take me a few days, sorry...
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Peter Ferguson » 12 Dec 2017 10:37

Hello Dave
Many thanks for your reply. Don't bother to unwrap your car. Please just let me know if you come across the ASH invoice. Note the problem with the bend, typical, but the idea of a smooth pipe properly sealed seems to be an excellent improvement, ditto getting the air further forward.
Peter
Peter Ferguson

Postby Dave Morris » 13 Dec 2017 17:29

Peter
According to the invoice it was a 90 degree elbow reducer, 80 to 70mm.
It was a bit fiddly to fit so I would still suggest that you check to be sure...
Dave
Dave Morris

Previous

Return to V8BB Messages