Topics and replies.

Brake squeal

Postby Angus Munro » 23 Jul 2017 13:56

The front brakes on my GT V8 squeal really badly. New Mintex pads have just been fitted but I'm afraid the squealing is now even worse than before. I have, of course, searched the various notes to be found on websites but the general pattern seems to be a post from somebody who has finally found a solution, only to be followed by posts from others who have not found the cure to work. All sorts of cures have been tried from Copper-ease and chamfered pads with Teflon strips to new drilled or grooved discs. All without general and final success.
It has been suggested by a very competent chum that my brakes stop squealing when hot, but in the real world I am very easy on brakes so that is never going to work for me.
As these cars didn't suffer from the problem in their day it would seem that the change from part asbestos pads to modern materials is perhaps a part of the problem, although that doesn't make a lot of sense either as the problem seems to be confined to the GT V8s that some of us have.
Rather than go down the well trodden path of cures suggested and tried by others, without success, I would be quite happy to cure the problem in my usual way... by throwing money at it.
Has any company redesigned the system, possibly scrapping the standard caliper units and replacing them with RV8 four pot callipers, or anything in that direction?
Angus Munro

Re: Brake squeal

Postby Angus Munro » 23 Jul 2017 16:13

Naturally, after having posted regarding brake squeal the thought occurred to search for brake upgrades, which brought me to the excellent V8 Note 355, by Geoff King.
I'll have a careful look at this to ensure that I do understand it all and then, evaluate the possibility of finding a set of Rover SD1 Calipers these days.
Angus Munro

Postby Bob Owen » 23 Jul 2017 16:53

Angus,
I too use Mintex pads and have suffered brake squeal for many years. Previously I used Greenstuff pads but although they didn't squeal I found that they wore quickly and generated a lot of brake dust. As you say it may be a function of the composition of the Mintex pads which is very hard.
I too am light on brakes (causing corrosion problems on my ZTT rear discs!). I find that the V8 squeal is only at low speeds with relatively light braking - this can cause alarm to people on pedestrian crossings!
I use Copperease but this is not a cure. Many brake pads have anti-squeal shims but AFAIK these were never a feature of MGB brakes. I wonder if anti-squeal shims from another vehicle would fit and effect a cure?
Bob Owen

Postby Angus Munro » 23 Jul 2017 17:07

Hello Bob, good to hear from you.
You are absolutely correct in that the noise is at its worst when at very low speed to finally stopping.
It does generate a lot of looks and a few comments at the traffic lights, much to my embarrassment.
Thus far, Geoff King's modification seems to be the most promising.
I'll see.
Best regards,
Angus Munro

Postby David Macadam » 23 Jul 2017 19:16

Angus,
You mention you have fitted new pads recently. I recall there is a need to avoid glazing the disc surface which may be contributing to the brake squeal noise you have. Although you say you "are easy on your brakes" but that could be contributing to the glazing. I think it would be well worth adopting a much firmer style of braking for your next trip in the V8 and give the pads some real work and get the pad surfaces really hot with some hard braking. It may not be your usual style of driving but with due consideration for any drivers behind you I think it will help you.
David Macadam

Postby Mike Howlett » 23 Jul 2017 21:49

Angus, Geoff King's set up works very well and has served him well for many years, but as you say it could be hard to find the calipers. I have the 4-pot brakes from Hoyle which can be fitted either with or without the Holye suspension (http://www.hoyle-suspension.co.uk/Pages ... rades.html). On my car they have worked really well together with the late MGB master cylinder and in-line servo. They have never squealed! I believe the ventilated discs are from a large Peugeot (possibly a 504 ??) redrilled for the MGB hub, and the pads are from a Volvo 240.
Mike Howlett

Postby George Wilder » 24 Jul 2017 06:59

Angus
MGB brakes squeal too!!

I fitted drilled and grooved discs to my MGB last summer.
It was an MGOC kit obtained via John Cumming disposing of parts for a widow of a recently departed member
Initially with the the supplied Greenstuff pads - massive squeal
then Mintex no better.
then Ferrodo no better.
Decided I had to live with it until a genuine solution (or a set of asbestos pad appeared ) but after now about 3000 miles the the level of squeal is down to a minimum - does not happen most days.

I know others with the same problems on MGBs.

This does not help you other than to say I am not sure changing calipers is going to be the solution.
George
George Wilder

Postby Peter Ferguson » 24 Jul 2017 07:41

Angus
Cannot comment directly on MGBGT brakes but they don't squeal on my MGC or for that matter RV8.
On the C there are as standard stainless steel shims held in place by the pins and of a L shape, outside edges, circular inside. Green stuff pads are on at the moment but cheap alternatives, Rover 2000 if I remember correctly were also squeal free. C brakes are Girling but you might be able to find similar ones to fit your GT.
Throwing money at the problem there is an advertiser in Safety Fast, BCC Braking who sell a whole range of four pot kits with lots of nice stainless steel bits including shims!
A final suggestion, have you ever got the pads really hot, a long descent with repeated hard braking. That should really bed the pads in and might even stop the music!
Peter Ferguson

Postby Angus Munro » 24 Jul 2017 08:51

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your positive replies. It's always good to meet old friends again on this forum.
So far then, there is no doubt that when the brakes are hot the squeal is not there. Were I to drive more aggressively regarding braking that would not help the situation where the brakes had cooled in town traffic and the dreaded traffic light approach. My style laid back of driving seems to allow pads to glaze which might be a part of the problem. Perhaps this is why the new Mintex pads are squealing already due to a hard compound apparently.
There is a school of thought that recommends Teflon pads between the pad backs and the calliper. It could be possible that a slight chattering between the pad back and the calliper might be causing the calliper to ring, like a bell. Those who have tried the Teflon idea find that it works for a short time. This may be due to the Teflon wearing through pretty quickly I would have thought.
MGBs and the V8 variants seem to suffer this problem commonly and this thought does lead me to think that a calliper change might well be the solution.
Mike, many thanks for your pointer toward the Hoyle callipers. I am a huge fan of Hoyle engineering having experienced the IRS on my RV8. A change to the two pot system combined with ventilated discs from Hoyle is a truly interesting thought, especially the "simple bolt on" aspect of it.
Thank you all again for your thoughts. I haven't commented individually but I have taken on board your points. Thank you.
Angus Munro

Postby Peter Ferguson » 24 Jul 2017 09:44

Angus
Knowing a bit of your modifying cars history why not put the whole Hoyle front suspension on, you get rid of the King pins as part of the package! Would not recommend the RV8 crossmember route when the Hoyle setup gives you reasonable suspension movement. By the way the rear suspension on your old car is getting plaudits from its new owners.
Peter Ferguson

Next

Return to V8BB Messages