Topics and replies.

Headlining Part 2

Postby Jeffrey Lister » 21 Nov 2017 20:25

Further to my previous request for any answers to my problem with a sagging headlining and the lack of replacement fibre board, I believe I have found the solution.
Having made a cardboard template, I cut out the shape in DYNALITE , used a heavy duty spray adhesive to both surfaces and stuck the headlining to the dynalite left it for a couple of days to dry, and with the aid of a fellow enthusiast carefully removed the backing paper off the dynalite and proceeded to stick the dynalite/headlining assembly to the roof, tucking in surplus headlining material into the void between the cant rails and roof panel
Judicious use of a heat gun allowed any creases to be teased out

The finished result looks better than before with the added benefit of a sound proofed roof panel. It will be interesting to see how it copes with the different temperatures throughout the year.
Jeffrey Lister
Posts: 22
Joined: 31 Jul 2013 06:24

Re: Headlining Part 2

Postby David Rees » 21 Nov 2017 22:48

That's interesting Jeff,
However when I did a web search for Dynalite all I find are pages referring to various electrical products, mainly under the Phillips brand.
There was one page for who are a German manufacturer of what looks as though it may be the product. I was unable to find a supplier however.
Where did you source the product from?

Regards, David Rees
David Rees
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Jan 2013 22:40
Location: Harrogate,UK

Re: Headlining Part 2

Postby Mike Howlett » 21 Nov 2017 22:56

I hope your spray adhesive is better than the one I used. My headlining was sagging after less than a year when I used a spray glue, and I had to do it all again with proper EvoStick in a tin. I managed to use the original board with some judicious repairs. I don't know what the board was made from but it has all the strength of a thin Weetabix!
Mike Howlett
Posts: 130
Joined: 15 Dec 2012 09:27

Re: Headlining Part 2

Postby Jeffrey Lister » 22 Nov 2017 06:28

Hi David,
Try using DYNAMAT when you search, its an American company specialising in sound proofing materials with Dynalite being one of their products, it is basically a sheet 52inch by 32inch I used the quarter of an inch thick option. Unfortunately the sheet size is insufficient to cover all of the roof panel therefore you need to purchase 2 sheets, but with the left over there is enough to sound proof the bonnet. The site has an enquiry email facility which I put in my problem and received a reply from a gentleman called John Griggs.
I bought mine from the Classic Car show last week.

Mike your description of the backing board is very apt hence why I decided to go down the route of eliminating it. I hope the adhesive works , time will tell.
Jeffrey Lister
Posts: 22
Joined: 31 Jul 2013 06:24

Return to V8BB Messages

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests