Topics and replies.

Fuel & Additives

Postby Steve Armitage » 23 Nov 2017 15:19

Hi all,
I’m a new RV8 owner and still getting to know the car. I need some advice please on fuel and additives.
Ref fuel, I’d welcome some steers on which type to buy – the regular stuff, vs the “premium” or “performance” fuels that many brands provide these days. Does the RV8 like the latter?
Secondly I’d appreciate some thoughts on additives. I’m not normally in the habit of adding anything to fuel but I’m tempted to do so; my RV8 hasn’t been driven much in the last couple of years and I’m wondering whether it might benefit from a dose of valve/injector cleaner. Having done some research, the 2 brands that seem to be favoured by some in the trade are Protec and Forte. Neither is available at the forecourt (at least not that I know of) and neither brand is cheap. I’m happy to splash out providing I’d be adding something that works.
All experiences welcome!
Steve Armitage

Re: Fuel & Additives

Postby Mike Howlett » 23 Nov 2017 16:42

Let's dive in and wait for the sky to fall on me. My MGB conversion uses a 1991 Range Rover 3.9 litre engine which is almost identical to the RV8 engine. In over 30,000 miles I have never used anything other than supermarket regular grade fuel and the car is perfectly happy on that. I fully expect others to tell you that the engine needs super-deluxe-extra-whizzo fuel, but having dismantled my engine and reassembled it I can assure you that it is a very simple, almost crude unit that seems to run fine on whatever it is presented with. Why spend extra when you don't need to?

I have no experience of additives like those you describe, so I can't comment on whether they are beneficial or not, but my gut feeling as a confirmed cynic is that many of these products are what the Americans call "snake oil", or to put it another way, a lot of money for little benefit.
Mike Howlett

Postby Peter Wallis » 23 Nov 2017 19:49

Whilst I no longer have my RV8 I had my car for nearly 16 years and maintained her myself. Whilst touring in Spain somehow I filled up with dirty fuel which effected the injectors - one of the party we were travelling with had a bottle of Forte injection cleaner which cured the misfire. Since then I've learnt that Clive W recommends this product above all others and I now carry a bottle as a safeguard and in your case Steve I would use it to clean through the system after all these cars are now 20 years plus.

Happy motoring
Peter Wallis
North Hampshire
Peter Wallis

Postby Steve Armitage » 24 Nov 2017 10:50

Mike, Peter,
Many thanks. I was expecting differing opinions!
Interesting that Clive W favours Forte - very useful to know. Also that the benefit (Peter's misfire sorted) was immediately apparent.
Steve
Steve Armitage

Postby Al Barnett » 24 Nov 2017 12:53

I have been running RV8s since 1995 and have encountered the occasional misfire and variable tickover, usually after a winter lay up. A service at Clive Wheatley's has normally sorted it out but on one occasion I was a long way away in France. Advice from one or two was to have the injectors cleaned by ultrasound but Steve Newton suggested trying a bottle of Forte Injector cleaner before embarking on more complex work. The result was instant, misfire cured and has not returned. I now keep a bottle in the garage, just in case, but in five years have never had to use it.
As to petrol and octane ratings it doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference between Supermarket or Super Plus. In France I like to use 98 from a major company particularly if we are going up into the Alps but any improvement is probably more to my sense of wellbeing rather than the engine's performance.
Al Barnett

Postby Mike Howlett » 24 Nov 2017 13:49

Like Al I tended to use the super grade of petrol while in France, but that was because it had a lower ethanol content. Much of the basic grade was 10% EtOH, whereas the super was 5%. My understanding is that older cars don't get on well with EtOH, so the lower the better.
Mike Howlett

Postby Steve Armitage » 28 Nov 2017 13:10

Thanks again all,
Maybe then answer is to experiment....with an open mind!
Steve Armitage

Postby Nic Houslip » 28 Nov 2017 22:24

Steve
My RV8 has covered about 34,00 miles, uses mostly Regular Petrol from wherever I can buy [its usually early morning and I have NO brand loyalty at all] but oe 2 occasions en route to Prescott for a hill climb I have decided to fill up with premium. As far as I can gauge, it makes zero difference, certainly my times were not improved my doing that. The best way to stop fuel system gumming is to drive the car, as it keeps the fuel ways clean. The 3.9 engine is so lowly tuned that an increase in Octane number isn't really usable.
Nic Houslip

Postby Dave Morris » 29 Nov 2017 23:07

Like Nic I generally use regular unleaded in my car, for everyday driving as well as hillclimbs and sprints. I haven't found any issues with it, indeed when it was set up on a rolling road last February it had a tankful of Asda's finest on board. Having said that the guru of all things Rover V8, John Eales, told me that there is a small power benefit in using premium unleaded and suggested that I do so when topping up at events. I have done but I can't say I can detect any difference in performance or pre-ignition or anything else other than a bigger dent in my credit card!
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Barry M West » 30 Nov 2017 09:35

Owned my RV8 for 2 years now I do put in a premium (v power) petrol but only as I am led to believe they contain additives that arn't present in supermarket fuel, namely cleaners.
Barry M West

Next

Return to V8BB Messages