Topics and replies.

Glove Box Lock

Postby Bruce McNeill » 30 Nov 2017 03:48

The glove box lock on my RV8 has been stiff to operate so today I gave it a liberal spray with WD40 and the put the key in to see if was improved. It was but when I pulled the key out, the whole lock barrel came out with it.
I cant for the life of me see what keeps it inside the lock. I don't seen to have dropped any circlip or retainer etc.
Any hints ?
Bruce McNeill

Re: Glove Box Lock

Postby Nic Houslip » 01 Dec 2017 21:33

Bruce
If I recall [and I'll look tomorrow] there is a clip of sorts that holds the barrel in place. While the barrel is out DO NOT remove the key from the barrel, or it will take you days to get the tumblers back in the right place. The whole assembly is ZKC 6047 and is currently available if we can't fix the old one.
Nic Houslip

Postby Nic Houslip » 03 Dec 2017 10:40

Bruce,
I removed my glove box lock and it appears to be a single piece assembly that cannot be dismantled. From what I can see the barrel is retained by an internal clip. It would look like a new lock is the best solution.
Nic Houslip

Postby Peter Wallis » 03 Dec 2017 17:22

Bruce,
I had problems with mine in fact it was a nightmare. The action is that of a toggle switch and dare I say once fixed use sparingly. The real problem is that over time the surrounding casing wears and distorts. My wife hated ever touching the key and we hardly ever used it in the end. I note with interest that nobody has been able to give you any positive assistance and that includes me.

Peter Wallis
North Hampshire
Peter Wallis

Postby Bruce McNeill » 28 Dec 2017 04:36

I managed to fix it. I finally discovered that the barrel is retained in the lock by a tiny wire circlip. This had lost its tension so I levered it out, stretched it and forced the barrel back into the lock. Hey presto it held.
Fingers crossed it stays in place.
Thanks for feed back.
Bruce McNeill

Return to V8BB Messages