Topics and replies.

Black paint for MGB GT V8 wheels

Postby Robert Rose » 11 Oct 2016 09:15

Hi,
My original MGB GT V8 wheels are in a relatively good condition in view of their age but there are areas circa the slots that the black paint has gone leaving exposed uncoated alloy.
In order to at least maintain the current look, can someone please advise as to the original paint maker and paint code for these wheels and whether this would be suitable to use as a touch up the affected areas.
I hope to have the black areas completely repainted in the next couple of years but I do not wish to leave the previously painted areas to deteriorate further, so any advice and guidance would be gratefully appreciated.
Rob (1646 )
Robert Rose

Re: Black paint for MGB GT V8 wheels

Postby V8webmaster » 11 Oct 2016 11:18

Robert,
I know from contacts with you that you are keen to maintain your MGBGTV8 in an original condition and there is one detailed feature of the original Dunlop composite wheels that needs care when it comes to refurbishing those wheels. A subtle feature of those original wheels was very fine machinings on the face of the raised alloy features around the centre of the wheel. In many cases where the wheels have been refurbished involving applying fresh black paint to the areas alongside those raised features and once dry, on close examination you can see the refurbisher had chosen to remove the paint that had crept over the edge of the side of those raised features and onto the flat face, by using the abrasive effect of emery paper. The result of that rubbing action, which seems a convenient way of removing the paint and leaving a neat edge to the paint and flat face, is those fine machinings can be lost. Whilst a few express scorn over such detailed concerns for "originality" with a classic car like the MGBGTV8, for those unaware of how those original machinings can be lost but value such detail, then this might be an alert to note. It's fair to say many Dunlop composite wheels have lost that detail through maintenance over the years.
V8webmaster
Site Admin

Postby Robert Rose » 11 Oct 2016 11:51

Hi Victor
Thank you for your post. I do not believe the wheels have been refurbished before. The first owner drove approximately 26K before selling on to the next owner who disliked both the colour of the car and also the wheels. Therefore he fitted aftermarket wheels which remained on the car until he sold it, by which time it had completed approximately 37K. The next owner refitted the original wheels and they remained with the car to this day, the car now having completed approx 58K.
I wish to retain the Patina of the car, I am not trying to recreate a car fresh from the factory but do not wish the wheels to deteriorate. Therefore subject to the information you have recently supplied, I will maintain those areas now devoid of paint with polish until such time I have them inspected further at next years MG Live, at which point I can garner all the information to determine the way forward.
Robert ( 1646 )
Robert Rose

Postby Michael O'Leary » 23 Feb 2017 00:07

Robert,
although I don't know the paint code, originally the wheel centres were paint matt black. Attached is a photo of a still in the box wheel for your reference.
Attachments
thumbnail_IMG_0578[1].jpg
Michael O'Leary

Postby Peter Spurrs » 23 Feb 2017 06:52

Robert,
I understand that MWS no longer refurbishes these wheels. Perhaps they will tell you what they used to use - it's not going to cost them any business. I found them to be a friendly group of folks.
Peter Spurrs

Postby Robert Rose » 23 Feb 2017 16:57

Hi Peter
I took your advice and contacted MWS who as you intimated were very helpful.
The wheels were " Wet Painted" Satin Black with this work being outsourced to a company based near Thatcham,
Professional Coatings ( Procoat )
Procoat were equally very helpful, the paint was a 2 Pack Adhesion Manufactured by PPG under the Trade Name of
" Selemix" the colour code is RAL 9005 M 30%.
This is available from Automotive Paint Distributors.
Rob ( 1646 )
Robert Rose

Postby Peter Spurrs » 23 Feb 2017 17:04

Splendid!

Peter (1157)
Peter Spurrs

Return to V8BB Messages