Topics and replies.

RV8 14CUX data base

Postby Dave Morris » 23 Oct 2016 15:39

Colleagues,
I would like to ask for your help please…
While we were researching information for our recently published article on the 14CUX ECU (RV8Note 429: Understanding the RV8 engine management system) we realised that there are quite a few gaps in our knowledge about its history and development. We know that there were changes to the ECU and its software but we don’t know much about what those changes were or when they occurred.
I therefore offered to try and collect some basic data and create a sort of RV8-CUX database.
Ideally I would like to collect as much of the information shown in the form shown below as possible but recognising that not everyone will have access to all of this the minimum requirement is for year (of registration) or VIN and tune. Alternatively iIf you have Rovergauge you can send me a screenshot.
[attachment=0]14CUXform1.png[/attachment]
You can reply through this bulletin board, by PMing me or to my personal email, dave.morris@sharphill.co.uk, whatever is most convenient.
Finally I should point out that none of this data will be published or posted online. I will however use it to create an anonymous summary which I will publish on the bulletin board in due course.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Dave
Attachments
14CUXform1.png
14CUXform1.png (10.46 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
Dave Morris

Re: RV8 14CUX data base

Postby Dave Morris » 08 Dec 2016 20:51

Hi folks,
As the 14CUX article has now been published in 'Safety Fast' I thought I would give this request another plug.
So far I have 5 cars in my data base, useful, but not yet enough to draw many conclusions about the evolution of the EMS during RV8 production.
So if anyone who has access to Rovergauge could let me know their 'Tune' and either the year of production or vin# it would be much appreciated.
In case what I'm after isn't clear I have highlighted the Tune in the attached picture.
Many thanks,
Dave
Attachments
RGpic#2206h.JPG
Dave Morris

Postby John Hale » 09 Dec 2016 19:23

Hi Dave
Just a thought, as you know, I have Rovergauge and live just outside Alcester/Stratford upon Avon so if anybody nearby wants to see their ECU on screen and join the database I can help.
John Hale

Postby Mike Macartney » 10 Dec 2016 10:46

Dave,
I will send you details of RV8 engine in my MGB conversion to the RV8 engine when I have finished installing the engine and get it running. The rebuild of the MGB is being reported on the V8 Register web site. The reports are at present up to report 99.
http://www.v8register.net/profileV8RebuildMacartney.htm

Dave, if I forget to send you the information, please chase me up. I am hoping that the rebuild will be finished in January or February. Keep up the good work. I found your 14CUX article very interesting.

Mike Macartney
Mike Macartney

Postby Dave Morris » 12 Dec 2016 20:04

Many thanks Mike,
Database count up to 6 now so making progress!
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Macartney » 04 Jan 2017 14:39

Dave

Have you seen this TVR site regarding remapping the Lucas 14CUX

ECUhttp://home2.btconnect.com/stevesprint/remap-14cux/

Regards

Mike
Mike Macartney

Postby Mike Macartney » 04 Jan 2017 14:41

Dave

Sorry, I copied the site incorrectly.

http://home2.btconnect.com/stevesprint/remap-14cux/

Mike
Mike Macartney

Postby Mike Howlett » 04 Jan 2017 16:12

Thanks for that web site Mike. I know my limitations and I'm too chicken to get Rover Gauge and attempt to have a go, but I would love to get rid of the "low speed shunting" which the guy on the web site also suffered with. It is the one aspect of the fuel injection that annoys me. I have to dip the clutch just a little bit to stop it from happening when crawling in a queue. He says he has completely eliminated it. I have thought that it was due to engine mountings, or gearbox mountings, or drive shafts, or too sudden a throttle linkage, or anything but the fuel injection. Interesting.
Mike Howlett

Postby Dave Morris » 05 Jan 2017 21:07

I am in regular contact with Steve, he of the 'remapping the 14CUX' website, and now have the kit to burn my own chips..the kit but not the courage...yet!
Mike is your car an early one? If so you might find moving the later 'tune' a benefit as Land Rover updated the software and considerably improved idle performance. Alternatively if you speak to Julian at Kits & Classics he is very familiar with remapping the 14CUX and may be able to offer you a solution.
Having said all that my car idles smoothly but is still a bit prone to snatching when moving slowly at low revs, I'm going to try resetting the base idle a bit lower and see if it helps.
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Howlett » 05 Jan 2017 23:09

Dave, my BGT is a conversion and uses a 1991 Range Rover 3.9 engine, complete with the full injection kit. It runs really well and my only complaint is this mild shunting when crawling. Following on from reading the most interesting articles on this web site (thanks Victor!) I have downloaded Rovergauge and have contacted Mark at Blitz Racing to get a cable to connect the ECU to my laptop.

Reading on the SteveSprint article mentioned by Mike Macartney, Steve says that he has eliminated shunting by tweaking his fuel map. I am extremely scared of mucking about with the mapping because I really don't know what I'm doing. Mark from Blitz Racing thinks I could solve the problem by a simple adjustment of the mixture screw on the AFM. He suggests getting the engine up to temperature, then leaning out the mixture a little until the idle becomes lumpy, then richening it until it idles smoothly again. He advocates using a voltmeter to monitor the output while you do this, expecting a voltage around 1.0 - 1.5 volts. It must be worth a try!
Mike Howlett

Next

Return to V8BB Messages