Topics and replies.

Re: RV8 14CUX data base

Postby Dave Morris » 05 Jan 2017 23:27

Mark is very knowledgeable so I would think it is certainly worth a try. I would only suggest making a note of your start point so you can go back to it if you make it worse...(the voice of bitter experience talking here!).
When you hook up Rovergauge it will tell you which tune you have but on a '91 engine I would expect it to be one of the earlier versions. It would probably be worth trying a later chip as the 'Operation Pride' releases were better overall, especially at idle.
If we can hook up somehow I have one you can borrow and try if you want.
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Howlett » 06 Jan 2017 10:29

Dave, my engine was a pre-cat one so I run it with the "no-cat" green tune resistor. When I opened the ECU the chip was one of the non-exchangeable types so I sent it away to be converted and had an Optimax chip fitted. Very wise advice about marking where the screw adjuster is at present. Is it necessary to block off both ends of the air feed to the stepper motor when making the adjustment?
Mike Howlett

Postby Dave Morris » 06 Jan 2017 11:24

I am not very familiar with the 'no-cat' set up Mike so difficult to add much more.
You shouldn't need to disconnect the stepper motor to adjust the AFM...have a look here for some instructions (written by Mark Thompson):
http://www.actproducts.co.uk/2011/lucas ... tic-notes/

Thinking about the low speed shunting problem does your car have the road speed sensor fitted? If so at below about 3mph the ECU will think you are stationery and go into idle control mode. Careful adjustment of the base idle to stop the stepper motor opening too much might help. I just adjust it by trial and error, turn the screw a couple of turns and check the effect on Rovergauge. Following my rolling road trip it is idling a bit fast so I shall be having another go soon.
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Howlett » 06 Jan 2017 12:02

Yes my car has a Land Rover speed transducer as fitted to the RV8 which not only provides a signal (8000 pulses per mile) to the ECU, but in my car also drives the electronic speedometer. Why Rover didn't do that for the RV8 is a mystery to me. The digital speedo always gives rock steady readings with none of the flicking that can afflict mechanical instruments. My speedo can be calibrated by the user so I have set it to match the speed shown on my satnav.

I don't suppose I'm going to tackle the AFM adjustment right away as I have a ghastly cold at the moment, and my wife and I are competing for who has the best cough. But Mark's description in your last link does recommend blocking off the stepper motor. He also quotes an idle speed of 525 rpm which seems really low to me. Mine always idles at an indicated 800 rpm.
Mike Howlett

Postby Dave Morris » 06 Jan 2017 12:50

Good luck with it Mike, I'm sure you will be able to improve running with a bit of trial and error...
Incidentally what speedo and tach do you use? My tach undereads quite badly so I'm considering replacing it and yours sounds like a good option.
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Howlett » 06 Jan 2017 14:30

Dave. My car is a 1969 model BGT so it has the early dash with 100mm (4") main instruments. Your RV8 will have the 800mm instruments I assume. The instruments came from Speedy Cables, and I see that they do supply new 80mm versions. I actually have a brand new black faced 100mm tacho from them which I bought for another project and didn't use, but sadly it wouldn't fit an RV8. It looks like the top right hand picture in this web page. http://speedycables.com/smiths_classic_black.html

The tachometers have dip switches so they can be set to work with 2, 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. What you don't get, of course, is any red line markings, but my V8 almost never goes above 4500 rpm so it isn't a concern of mine. I have also had to make other arrangements for the ignition and main beam warning lights which you can see between the dials.
Attachments
Instruments.jpg
Mike Howlett

Postby Dave Morris » 06 Jan 2017 20:40

Looks good Mike and sounds like a good spec too but I think I'll have to try and find something which looks more like the original VDO gauges otherwise I'll have to change them all!
Dave Morris

Postby Mike Macartney » 08 Jan 2017 16:07

I am pleased to hear that the link to the stevesprint web site was of interest. I am still a bit of away from starting the engine in my MGB as yet. The RV8 engine I have is from, what I think, is an early RV8 as the gearbox is the LT77 and not the later R388 gearbox. The engine number is 48A00174A.

I too, am scared of playing with the ECU, but I do have two spare 14CUX ECU's so who knows, I might have a play with having a go at progranmming. I do have a son-in-law that seems to be a bit of a computor wizz kid, and he is up for having a go, especially as it is not his car!

If anybody is interested, the reports on my rebuild, are on http://www.v8register.net/profileV8RebuildMacartney.htm The reports are now at Report 107.

Mike
Mike Macartney

Postby Dave Morris » 09 Jan 2017 10:50

Hi Mike
As you probably know the 48A engines were the 3.9 'hot wire' pre-serpentine engines as used in the RV8.
#174 suggests that it was fairly early in the production run of 2000 or so, mine is 48A02129A.
MG continued using this spec of engine right through RV8 production even though Land Rover had moved on.
I would like to know when they changed the ECU but so far don't have many early UK records so will be interested to find out what tune yours was issued with.
Dave
Dave Morris

Postby Dave Morris » 24 May 2017 09:21

As you may recall I have been collecting information on the RV8 14CUX ECU to try and help understand a bit of the history and help owners who want to know if they would benefit from a change or upgrade.
Following some recent questions on here I thought it would be timely to give you all a bit of an update, to be honest I have been waiting in the hope that I would get more cars on the database as so far I only have 14…

Anyway the story so far is we have details of 14 cars from as far afield as Australia:
Germany 3 21%
Australia 3 21%
Austria 1 7%

As you might expect they are mostly Japanese specification cars and were first registered between 1993 and 1996:

Spec
Japan 12 86%
UK 2 14%

Year
1993 3 21%
1994 2 14%
1995 6 43%
1996 3 21%

When we dive into Rovergauge and look at the details we find that there was a change in the ‘tune’ (MG Rover jargon for the version of the firmware):

Tune
R2967 3 Pre'95
R3452 7 95 on
R3116 2 Optimax

Before some time in 1995 cars had tune R2967 which seems to have been the original based on the Land Rover production version. R3452 was introduced in 1995 around about VIN #1400 and followed Land Rover’s 'operation pride' project which was designed to deal with some of the reported faults of the original 14UX, notably erratic idle. Optimax chips (R3116) are reported to have been based on TVR firmware which branched off from the Land Rover version in about 1993.

A couple of other details you may be interested in. All the RV8s with original chips have the rev limit set at 5703 whereas the Optimax chip seems to have a higher limit of 6203, although I only have one example so cannot be sure this is always the case.

On my own car I had the mixture set on a rolling road. Whilst this did not produce any more top end power than I was able to achieve by myself with standard methods (timing , better exhaust etc) it has improved the mid-range acceleration and throttle response and also means that I get genuine oomph right up to the rev limit.

If anyone is contemplating a chip change or upgrade my suggestion would be to try the later tune first, this deals with most of the issues that were present on the early versions and works pretty well in my opinion.
Dave Morris

PreviousNext

Return to V8BB Messages