Topics and replies.

Fuel Pump Failure

Postby Peter Spurrs » 16 Jan 2017 16:27

I started the V8 on Sunday. It fired up first time, ran for 15 seconds, spluttered, revved up and died. There was some jabbing of the throttle to accompany it all. Now, there's no ticking of the fuel pump and there's some part melted white wires under the bonnet. Fuel pump points welded together, I suspect.
My owner's handbook and all of the other documents I can lay my hands on say that the pump should be an AUF 305, but the rather fuzzy photo shows something which might be an AUB 182. Having said that, there's some odd plastic on it.
Not knowing what the pump is means I can't order any repair parts. Anyway, I think I would prefer to have a pump of the proper specification. The 300 series has been replaced by the 1300 series and Burlen has AZX 1307 and AZX 1308 which look pretty similar to me. All of their others are boot mounted.
It looks as if I need a new pump and fittings.
Any comments would be appreciated, including current views on Burlen quality, which was noted in V8Note 410.
Best regards,
Peter
Attachments
2017 01 16 Fuel Pump.jpg
Fuel Pump In Situ
Peter Spurrs

Re: Fuel Pump Failure

Postby Peter Spurrs » 23 Jan 2017 14:57

I've been in touch with Burlen. I interpreted "boot mounted" on the description of some of the pumps to mean that they had to be mounted in the boot as on the rubber bumper model. It turns out that I was wrong: "The website is merely referring to the fact there are a pushing type pump to be mounted towards the rear of the car. Rather than a bulk head mounted pulling pump."
New pump duly ordered.
Peter Spurrs

Postby Peter Spurrs » 25 Jan 2017 08:42

I've now been informed that the lead time is 10 to 12 weeks. Hey ho.
Peter Spurrs

Postby Graham Cornford » 01 Feb 2017 14:16

I would suggest that now is the time to change to a solid state pump. My O/E pump went out 20 or so years ago, and I got a replacement which has performed faultlessly since. It ticks as the O/E and looks like it.

Available from the usual suppliers
Graham Cornford

Postby Michael O'Leary » 01 Feb 2017 18:49

Peter, have you taken the pump off to see if it works direct from a battery? You mightn't need a new pump...from the 'melted wires' it might be the wiring.
Michael O'Leary

Postby Peter Spurrs » 01 Feb 2017 19:23

Michael - I've not taken it off, but it is the wrong pump. Exactly what it is, I don't know. I will replace it anyway and have a play with the old one afterwards. The wiring will need checking - fingers crossed that it's OK.

Graham - It's good to hear your experience backs up what I've decided to do.

Thank you both,
Peter
Peter Spurrs

Postby Geoff Insley » 02 Feb 2017 10:43

Peter
This fuel pump is listed as in stock at Holden in Bromyard (the points version anyway, but they are easy to change to electronic if you wish).
You might also try SNG Barratt, the same pump fits Jaguars.
If you choose to change to a solid state pump (eg Facet) be careful of the pressure of the output, you will probably need a pressure regulator to work safely with SU carbs.
Geoff Insley

Postby Peter Spurrs » 02 Feb 2017 13:16

Geoff,
Thanks for the thoughts.
I have ordered the solid state version of the original from Burlen/SU. It will take a while to come, but I'm not in a hurry to lie on the garage floor.
Peter Spurrs

Postby Peter Spurrs » 27 Feb 2017 09:06

Despite the quoted 10 to 12 week lead time for the new pump, it arrived last week. So, over the weekend, I did the job. Whilst replacing the pump, I took the opportunity to replace the tank to pump pipe, banjos and flexi pipe from pump to engine. The wiring at the pump end was a melted mess, both supply and earth. An internal short circuit in the pump? With a new wire in place and the tightness of the fuel line connectors checked, I reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition. The pump clicked away for a few seconds, slowed and stopped - so far so good. A further turn of the key energised that starter; it whirred for a second or two and the engine burst into life. Surprise and delight. A 20 mile run up hill, down dale, full throttle and overrun showed no problems. Job done.
I must congratulate people like Peter Berry (V8 Note 235) who changed fuel pumps at the side of the road. It was horrid enough in the comfort of my garage. Bravo!
Peter Spurrs

Postby David Macadam » 27 Feb 2017 10:21

Good news. When I have changed my standard SU fuel pump on two occasions I have found that if you connect it up dry, when you turn on the ignition the pump rattles away like a machine gun and produces no fuel. On each occasion I have had to remove the pump and prime it with fuel, replace with fuel running over my wrists and then it pumped fuel well. Did you find you needed to prime the pump?
David Macadam

Next

Return to V8BB Messages