Topics and replies.

Odometer trip reset

Postby Richard Withington » 24 Feb 2017 12:58

The P O of my car has replaced the speedometer but failed to replace the resetting stem for the trip.
Any recommendations on how to locate the stem into the back of the speedometer head without dismantling too much of the dashboard ? It is impossible to even see where it locates from behind !
All suggestions welcome
Richard Withington

Re: Odometer trip reset

Postby Bob Owen » 25 Feb 2017 08:33

Richard,

It's some years since I replaced my speedo but my recollection is that you can release the speedo by putting a hand up behind ths dash and releasing the knurled nuts that pull the speedo to the U clamp. You can then pull the speedo out with its cable and lamp lead still connected far enough to see the location of the odometer trip reset cable socket. Fiddly process but "doable".
Bob Owen

Postby Richard Withington » 26 Feb 2017 10:13

Thanks Bob,
I have read that you can lower the steering column, remove the tachometer, or the air vent to give better access, but am not convinced. I have loosened the knurled nuts so guess I will just have to continue, I was concerned about ever getting them threaded again !

Has anybody used any of the other ways of accessing or is it just a question of persistence with an inverted body and sore fingers ?
Richard Withington

Postby Mike Howlett » 26 Feb 2017 14:01

The air vent is only pushed into its hole, so can be carefully prised out with a blunt screwdriver. You can then see the back of the speedo, especially if you use a small mirror through the hole. Being a contortionist certainly helps when working behind the dash.
Mike Howlett

Postby Richard Withington » 28 Feb 2017 11:37

Thanks Bob and Mike for your responses. I managed without removing anything except the speedo head itself and have a sore left hand to prove it ! Although right handed I found I could only work with my left hand up and under the dashboard. The technique seems to be to loosen both nuts and then turn the head anticlockwise to undo the nut normally at the 10.20 position. It certainly made reinstalling easier although I still lost several nuts to the gremlins that eat them in the dashboard below somewhere...
Richard Withington

Return to V8BB Messages