Topics and replies.

Part Number collapsible spacer rear axle

Postby John van den Boorn » 18 Jul 2017 17:46

Does anybody has more detailed info from the rear axle?

The part catalogue I have only gives a few part numbers: for a complete new axle, some bearings and an oil seal. Same info as Brown and Gammons gives on their website...
https://www.ukmgparts.com/catalogue/rv8 ... -rear-axle

I am looking for a new collapsible spacer mounted near the bearings where the prop shaft meets the axle.
Who knows a part number or better knows a source?

I found part number 607197 on the internet for a similar spacer belonging to a Salisbury axle of a land rover.
Could this be the correct part? It looks the same...
http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/li ... PACER.html
John van den Boorn

Re: Part Number collapsible spacer rear axle

Postby Nic Houslip » 20 Jul 2017 15:13

John

I think that the part you seek might be, but I have a source that |I can check. I searched my parts manual and cannot find a part number given for this repair. I will ask my source and respond as quickly as I can. I believe that the RV8 axle is by Salisbury, not from the LR, but as the RV8 is fitted with an LSD there may be some variations.
Nic Houslip

Postby Nic Houslip » 21 Jul 2017 11:40

John

Update, so far we have not found what we need to know, except that axle is by GKN and has commonality with a number of other vehicles [but not Land Rover]. Will post as soon as have more info.
Nic Houslip

Postby Martin Cridford » 21 Jul 2017 18:12

My understanding, and I'm sure I've read it in more than one book on the RV8, is that it is a Leyland Sherpa Salisbury axle, used because it is wider than the original MGB axle.

A Note Sheet by the 'Burblers' advises the axle is a Salisbury 12HA but also has the same parts as a 9HA. The 12HA may be the same 9HA axle but with the limited slip diff added.
Martin Cridford

Postby John van den Boorn » 21 Jul 2017 19:14

It is also written in the repair manual in the chapter " generaal data":
Salisbury 12HA....

I searched the internet for several hours, but found no info from Salisbury axles type 9ha or 12ha.

Some Morgans also have Salisbury axles, also some land rover defenders... but other numbers are given

Am I the first one who is exchanging the bearings from the RV8 axle?
Without changing this collapsible spacer the new bearings will not have a long live.
John van den Boorn

Postby John van den Boorn » 25 Jul 2017 16:49

Today I went to a Landrover dealer for part 607197.
It is a similar part but has larger dimensions and is unusable for a RV8.

So still looking for part numbers or a source for the collapsible spacer.
John van den Boorn

Postby John Hale » 25 Jul 2017 21:15

Hi John

Having now read the manual, which helps when all else fails, I can see that a new spacer would be required to set the pinion bearing preload correctly. It would be interesting to know how you get on finally so please keep us posted.

Regards, John.
Last edited by John Hale on 26 Jul 2017 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
John Hale

Postby Nic Houslip » 26 Jul 2017 13:02

John

I have an update, the LR part 607197 is not correct and should not be used. However we have a new lead for a source which I need to talk to the maker about. As soon as I have an answer I will post or if you email me at nic@houslip.co.uk I can send what I have found out.

The actual purpose of the collapsible spacer is to allow the bearing to be "pre-loaded", in effect slightly over tightened so that when the pinion is being driven hard [as it would be accelerating from a start] the bearing doesn't have any play in it. The process is critical to long life and getting it wrong may cause a failure with severe safety applications [as I know when my B GT V8 axle locked due to wear] so the set up procedure in the workshop manual must be followed.
Nic Houslip

Postby John van den Boorn » 01 Aug 2017 17:46

A little update. Last weekend I went to a local supplier of MG-parts. MGB's from the seventies also have a Salisbury axle. Part number of the collapsible spacer is BTB853. As expected, just to be sure I gave it a try, this spacer is not usuable for the RV8.
John van den Boorn

Postby V8webmaster » 04 Aug 2017 17:51

Some readers of this thread may find the attached note helpful - it has a screengrab of the diagram of the propshaft and back axle together with the parts listing and a useful note prepared by Nic Houslip on the collapsible spacer.
http://www.v8register.net/FilesRV8WN/17 ... KM7144.pdf
V8webmaster
Site Admin

Next

Return to V8BB Messages